Young vs. Old Perspective


Prompt: What can older people learn from your generation? 

There is a perspective out there that the thoughts and writings of younger people are less important and valuable than that of more mature generations. Personally, I would hesitate to discount the writings and perspectives of an entire age group. Different people, including those of different ages, see the world in different ways, and I think that it is important to equally consider different perspectives and see what can be gleaned from each. 

In a middle age perspective, there will of course be more room and opportunity for reflection, to look back upon and analyze a time in youth. That is the unique privilege of those who have lived a certain time and experience. And perhaps with older age, there too comes a wisdom that allows a deeper understanding of people and the world. On the writings of young people, they possess their own privilege; to write during a situation and experience. I do think that it’s possible to write about an experience that you’re in the middle of. It is a different approach and perspective than writing about an experience after the fact, and won’t have the same kind of reflection and overall understanding of the matter. 

That being said, writing after an experience, without the firsthand to draw upon, runs the risk of forgetting important details. Writing during an experience allows a writer to directly draw upon and discuss an immediate issue, a connection that is only temporary. It can help others in the same boat as you, to get them thinking. Later, as you reflect, you could draw upon the writings from that situation. 

I believe that a youthful perspective can be surprisingly insightful and candid, unfettered by a long life. I hesitate to compare these two different perspectives; I think the writings of young people, myself, of course, included, are valuable. I know I have things I believe in and want to say. I also know that in time, my perspectives and beliefs will shift, and I will develop a different understanding of myself and the world around me. Maybe I’ll look back one day, to my writings now, and smile at my own naivety and simplicity. Or maybe not. If nothing else, I think the writings of youth are important as to not forget that time of our lives, that critical and formative time that is often behind as you change. To understand who we were and where we come from is critical to understanding who we are and aspire to be. Just this morning, as I was flipping through my notebook, I paused and skimmed some of my writing from a few months ago. Though I recognized myself in my writing, I would say that some of my perspectives, even in these last few months, have had slight shifts. I may approach those same writing prompts in a different manner today, but I won’t say that those original writings, my thoughts and beliefs and at the time, aren’t significant or relevant. Even if fruit ripens with age, as Lopate says, fruit that is still green and fresh on the vine has its own unique and special tastes and flavors to offer.

If I can make a distinction, I would say that it is critical for people of every age to write. Writing is the best form of thinking, and understanding yourself and world. So, of course it is good for everybody, however young or old, to writing and think. But reading is a different matter. And now, to admit a prejudice of mine, to some degree, I assume that the writings of older people will be more instructive and valuable to me. When I read the writing of young people, people my age, I am aware of that, and that distinction stays in my mind. When reading the writing of older, more established thinkers and writers however, I approach it with a much more humble and searching attitude. I guess that I am still very much focused on the wisdom that older people can offer.

Comments

  1. I think the point you brought up about forgetting details is an important distinction between writing during an event versus after. I believe also bias of knowing the outcome of the event can also make a difference in shaping how the event is told and could possibly explain differences in old vs young perspectives. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that keeping multiple different perspectives in mind is important and I think you are right to say that discounting an entire group just because of their age is a mistake. I also agree that writing during an experience can be very different than writing about something that happened in the past. Sadly I also will often take older people's writing/advice more seriously than younger people's and I think that is just how our culture is. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I completely agree that writing done by young people is invaluable. I wish that I had kept a diary when I was younger because I’m curious now about what my perspectives were, what was important to me, and what my personality was like.

    I think it might be beneficial to support your ideas with more personal detail. Maybe you could write about how older and wiser authors have inspired you, or continue to expand on your own writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Nothing

Me and My Phone