Doing Nothing

Is doing nothing a good use of your time?

I’m a pretty busy person. I cram a lot in my schedule, and have a lot of responsibilities and goals. But I always find myself doing nothing at times when you could argue that I, in fact, should be doing something. So this begs the question; do I necessarily find this a bad thing?

Here’s my daily schedule; my mom wakes me up at 6:50, and I climb out of bed, throw on some clothes, and stumble downstairs by 7:10. Some days, I leave the house by 7:30 and make it to school on time. On other days, I don’t. I often find myself in 1st hour brushing my teeth instead of sitting in Physics. I have Nonfiction Writing 2nd hour, and a study hall 3rd. I spend 3rd hour practicing piano in the attic. That’s a positive for me; being productive when I could be on my laptop. I have class until my 5th hour free period, and since the attic is busy, I’m usually in the library. It’s a perfect time for me to do homework and study. I would say that I’m productive about 5% of the time. I feel kind of bad about it, but I’ve come to accept it and tell myself that it’s important to give myself time to relax. So I leave at as it is, hesitantly call it a good nothing, and move on. Classes for the rest of the day, except for Uni periods. The attic is full again, so it’s a perfect time to be doing homework. Maybe my productivity levels during Uni Period is bumped up to 15%. It’s a shorter period, and sometimes I do my history homework. It’s a little harder to tell myself I’m being responsible when I waste away both 5th hour and Uni Period. That’s a lot of time, that I could be productive in. I try not to think about that too much.

Once my school day ends, I go to the tennis center, piano lessons, or home. At home, I usually eat a quick snack, and from there I am faced with a diverging point. I could either go take a “quick break”, and have that slip away into doing nothing until dinner, or I could start practicing piano or doing other work. Sometimes I’m productive before dinner; other times, not at all. I always practice piano after dinner until bed, so I feel pretty good about that.

So that’s how my day goes. Whenever I don’t have commitments such as class or tennis practice, I am faced with the decision of whether or not to be productive. In my mind, as I struggle to get ahold of how I manage my time, I mainly strive for a compromise; I’ll let myself relax and breathe during my free time at school, with my friends around and options limited, in return for not wasting my time at home. I don’t always keep this up, but when I do, I feel pretty good about myself. Generally, it’s enough, and I’ve never been that person to try to fit everything into every moment of my day, to obsess over what I could be getting done.

In a perfect world, I’d be able to perfectly balance my work with my play. I’d have short, refreshing breaks effectively dispersed throughout my day. Unfortunately, it never really works when I tell myself I’ll just take a 15 minute break. That’s something I’ve learned about myself and am aware of. Thankfully, it’s easy for me to work once I’ve started. I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t have problems when it comes to taking healthy breaks. I just need to be careful of how I define healthy.

Comments

  1. That's a pretty hectic schedule you have. I agree with you that spending the time to purposefully relax and catch a break is essential to a healthy lifestyle, even if it seems wasteful to be "doing nothing." Everything is good in moderation, but I, too, struggle to keep that balance. As for your writing, you included details that helps make a more complete picture of your day, but I think you should only keep the ones that directly add an essential element to the essay, or show an important facet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You include a ton of personal and specific details about your day. There is no doubt that this essay is yours, which is great, considering it's a personal essay. However, I'd look back at the question and figure out exactly what you want to argue. It's a bit unclear throughout the essay - you switch from mentioning "An Apology for Idlers" to a play-by-play of your schedule to regretting wasting your time. Maybe, instead of focusing on your busy schedule, focus on the "nothing" time you value (in moderation, it seems). Why do you watch Youtube videos? Does doing "nothing" change your mood or motivation to do work at all? Why is it good in moderation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this essay. I think that the part where you list off your schedule is important because it makes it easier for the reader to relate to you. I like your discussion of if doing nothing is bad because I have thought about that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the format/organization of your essay. You chronologically go through your day to day schedule and add bits of your reflection, that are also really relatable, throughout your essay. This aspect of your essay makes me, and probably many other readers, feel more engaged and understanding of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how much your voice comes through in this essay. I definitely feel like I got to know you better after reading the essay. Your first paragraph was a bit hard to follow because you seemed to be making a lot of points but it was hard to tell what they were because your sentences were so long. I think it would help to take out some of the commas and just separate the paragraph into more sentences. Also, in the second paragraph I was a kind of confused by your mention of "An Apology for Idlers". I've never read this essay and I wasn't sure how it was related to the point you were making. Maybe just explain the main point of the essay and then explain how it connects to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are quite the busy person, I liked how you went really in depth to your schedule, made the impact and business of it that much more pronounced. For how busy you are, it seems free time would be, even if doesn't always seem, productive because recharging and resting is vital to the mind. Also, to relieve all the frustration of the piano practice (I heard the story of the bucket of pencils).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a good reflective essay. If you wanted to cut some things out, you don't have to discuss your 1st, 2nd, and 4th hour classes, as those are classes where you learn normally. You also don't discuss any classes after 5th hour, so just having those 3 hours discussed is weird. You can just stick to talking about your free periods, as that is what this essay is about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a really good job of formulating the inner struggle about perceived wasted time into a reflective essay. Generally, the daily schedule narrative is fairly effective, but I feel like it could be pruned somewhat and that some of the details are beside the main point of the essay. I feel like I got to know you a little bit better by reading this, because, while I knew that piano was very important to you and that you spent a lot of time on it, I guess reading this accentuated for me just how important piano is to you and helped me to understand better how much time you spend on it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Me and My Phone

Recorded Music